Welcome to Made In Egypt (MIE) competition for undergraduates. MIE is a program for students in their senior graduating year from engineering and computer science from all Egyptian universities. The competition aims at developing the outcome of students’ graduation projects by exposing the students to the needs of the market and giving them a chance to develop prototypes for such needs aroused by industrial partners.
This round focuses on product design and development cycle. The program phases are designed to equip the students with the definition of product and development cycle principals and how to apply them through the graduation project. This is done through collaboration with engineers working in R&D centers who provide students with mentorship and support.
A functional prototype is not enough as an output this round. But robust, optimum, flexible and maintainable design, stable product. Those concepts and topics are addressed in this round of MIE.
MIE program is designed to play a certain part within product/service development cycle through producing MMP or PSP and not necessarily final product/service. This output is called “MIE Seed”.
Having a final product ready to market is not a small-scope task that can fit a graduation project scope. So, our program ends at finals tangible value in one of three categories:
Talented R&D Engineer: Team members are qualified to start their career and work in R&D departments in the industry. The skills they learned and knowledge they acquired are bases to develop new products and contribute to existing R&D projects.
Startup: Team can take their graduation project as a seed for their startup. Then they can complete product development and engagement with market into their startup.
Research: Team members are capable to continue work on their project as a research topic and complete their post-graduate studies.
New Product Development (NPD) process: the complete process of bringing a new product to market. New product development is described in the literature as the transformation of a market opportunity into a product available for sale.
Minimum Viable Product (MVP): is a product which has just enough features to gather validated learning about the product and its continued development.] Gathering insights from an MVP is often less expensive than using a product with more features which increase costs and risk in the case where the product fails due to incorrect assumptions. For example, if your product is "Satellite Radio", the main function is to receive radio channels from satellite, the MVP is a device generating audio from one satellite channel. LCD, Equalizer, Memory, remote control, design, battery...etc all are extra items not needed in MVP. It is a learning vehicle. It allows you to test an idea by exposing an early version of your product to the target users and customers, to collect the relevant data, and to learn from it. It is a risk reduction tool. The MVP is called minimum, as you should spend as little time and effort to create it.
Minimal Marketable Product (MMP)/Potentially Shippable Product (PSP): The product with the smallest feature set that still addresses the user needs and creates the right user experience. It is based on the idea that less is more. The MMP is a tool to reduce time-to-market. The key to creating a successful MMP is to “develop the product for the few, not the many,” and to focus on those features that make a real difference to the users. To discover the right features, the MVP is the right tool.
MVP1 + MVP2 + MVP3 + MVPn = MMP
Please click each Phase to get more information about it.
Admission and Enrollment
What are the registration requirements?
For a team to admit to competition this year, they should have:
- A Team: At least two team members should register to be considered MIE team. For the regulation about formulating your team, please refer to “Competition Regulations” section below.
- Project Idea: Project idea that solves a need and has a market potential. The problem definition and solution should be provided in a simple way and the technology and tools that will be used in the implementation.
All graduation projects in all fields are eligible to register in MIE-2017. If project idea belongs to one of the below tracks it is promoted to be checked in Project Overview Report. The main tracks will have a chance for more exposure to industry men.
- Internet of Things (IOT) & Wearable.
- Electronics and Communications: (Digital design – Analog – RRF).
- Big Data and Machine learning
How can a team register?
Registration for the competition is done through the registration web page. Each team is required to submit the following through the online registration form:
- Team members’ data.
- Supervisor information (if Exists).
- Project’s idea: problem definition, problem solution, and technology used in the implementation.
(Tip 1: Assigned contact person will be responsible for further communication with the MIE committee, and it is preferred that he/she would be in charge of the registration.)
(Tip 2: it is recommended to start from now getting ready for first phase requirements by downloading project overview, hr form and demo video, and starting working on them with your team).
After the successful submission of this information online, You will get login info for your team’s MIE account. Please keep them as they will be used to upload report in the next phase.
1st phase: Ideation and Engineering
Our objective is to get out the best teams that have:
- Clear objective(s) of the project and for participating in MIE.
- Commitment and Trustworthiness.
- Coherence, harmony and diversity.
- Passion and persevering
- Ability and skill to acquire knowledge.
Our focus is to get out the best projects ideas that:
- Solves an industrial issue and has a market value
- Provides an added value to an existing solution
- Provides a solid technical evidence of doability.
- Seeks a fully functioning prototype.
- Reached fuzzy-front-end/informal requirements/ market opportunity/problem definition.
What are the Ideation and Engineering phase requirements?
- A Project Overview Form: the team must have already downloaded Project Overview Form and fill it then upload it.
- Demo video: Video shows a brief about team, idea, and problem trying to solve and illustrate project high-level design. Present a demo for your current working state, show activities for the ongoing development steps.
- HR Form: a simple form that gives more information about team organization and skills of team members and how they can work as a team.
Note 1: To download Project Overview form, (click here)
Note 2: To download Video Content Guidelines, (click here)
Note 3: To download HR form, (click here)
(Tip 1: You can submit Project Overview Report later on through your team profile until the end of the ideation and engineering phase. but your application will NOT be processed if Project Overview Report, HR form and video are not submitted before the deadline.)
Preferred to have:
Teams at this point are recommended to meet one or more of the below points.
- Team members have a previous experience related to the project idea/field with evidence that confirms this knowledge. (Exam, certificate, etc.).
- Preferred to be passed 2-3 of cycles of producing Minimum Viable Product MVP to know the customer better, the best way to implement the product, and solve target problem. These cycles end when the team has full vision of the full product.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Excellent business writing skills (one or more team members)
- Excellent Command of English and Arabic (writing, reading, listening and speaking) (one or more team members).
- Excellent presentations skills. (one or more team members)
- Trainings will be provided to the teams that pass the initial filtration phase.
- Trainings topics will be set in coordination with the high technical engineers and entrepreneurs to ensure the delivery of an integrated package to the participating teams.
- Trainings will include how to convert your idea to product, basic business and interpersonal skills required for the completion of the project successfully.
- Training will emphasis the principals of new product design and development cycle.
- Training will develop required skills to be a successful R&D engineers.
- Training will includes topics like the MMP, Agile Process, Configuration management, releasing and manufacturing.
2ND FILTRATION POINT: High Level Design
Our focus is to find the best teams with the actual technical mentor-ship which have the ability to deliver high-quality prototypes, and our target is to find prototypes with quality rather than admitting a large number of teams.
Starting from Formal requirements & technical specifications and high-level design document, the team should be able to complete:
a. High-level product design.
b. selection of core features/functions for MMP/PSP.
c. Customize the high level design for MMP/PSP.
d. Working demo for the fundamental functionality of the project.
Deliverables: Full Product high-level design document + MMP high-level design document.
MIE13 Technical Overview Report: To download Technical Overview Report. The report will be available after passing the first phase.
A quality check on your prototype, in which we inspect your final prototype is finished and performs the target functionalities as described in the project overview report you provided to MIE before.
Selection of the teams will be based on some factors, the most prominent are:
- The competencies of the team in terms of technicality, diverse expertise, quality, packaging, communicational, and interpersonal skills
- Having a clear roadmap and timeline for development and implementation your own product.
Moving forward from the MMP high-level phase to detailed design, the team should be able to go through all the product development cycle. The team should be fully aware of implementation details, has some testing results.
The team should be aware of open issues and known bugs in the current release.
- MMP/PSP implementation. (Code, system, robot, machine ...etc.).
- Detailed design document.
- Release notes.
- Test plan.
Judgment committee reports feedback to teams to refine in the next phase.
Qualified teams to the finals will exhibit with their final prototypes in a gallery to be exposed to students and visitors. Academic professors and business men interested in the same field will join the judgment panel for each team. MIE will execute its final evaluation based on judge’s feedback. MIE will announce the final winners in its final ceremony.
At this point, we have a Talented Team, MMP/PSP, Full product specs and design documents, testing and QA reports and release plan.
Team should be evaluated against complexity and progress in their MMP, understanding for the New Product Development cycle, analysis for the open issues and challenges for product.
Finally, the MMP/PSP can be tagged as successful MIE Seed, this includes the verification(making sure they have achieve one of 3 outputs types) of MIE seed.
- MIE deals with the team as one entity not as individuals.
- The team has to be a group of students (2 or more) from the same university with a graduation project registered in their university.
- A Team working on a project idea as a part of other teams working on it should define the scope of his contribution to the whole project.
- Supervisor of your project in the university must be aware and agrees on your participation in MIE competition.
- Each Team is allowed to register with only one project (one idea). It has to be registered as a graduation project (i.e. team can’t just register with an idea that is not their actual graduation project).
- A team member should exist only in one team group (i.e. same person cannot be a member of more than one team).
- If students from different universities or different departments want to do joint projects and register with them in MIE competition, they have to contact the MIE committee first.
- If a team decides to break up into two teams or if two teams decide to join forces and merge becoming one single team, the MIE committee will solely have the right to accept or reject the action.
- Any data submitted as a part of the registration process about the project, team members, university supervisor, the sponsor company, and the SME must be correct. If it came to the attention of the MIE committee that any of the above-stated data is incorrect, the team will be dropped out of the competition.
Each year hundreds of graduation projects are implemented by engineering and computer science students as a requirement to complete their bachelor degree. A huge portion of these projects are never further utilized for any other purpose but to prove some theoretical concepts proposed by students or universities. On the other hand, the industrial sector suffers almost continuously from the lack of graduating students’ exposure to the market requirements and skills needed for products' development within the industrial arena.
MIE has been introduced to the Egyptian market in 2006, back then the initial motivation behind the program was to introduce and spread the concepts of University-Industry linkage (IUL) to the Egyptian students, and spreading awareness amongst the industrial sector. Now with this target accomplished, MIE is now taking a leap to the next step which is to ensure the outcome of the participating projects.
In the 12th round of MIE for the academic year 2016-2017, the requirements of the competition this year have changed dramatically; targeting (quality rather than quantity). The competition capacity of teams will be minimized a lot comparing with the previous years (For more info, please refer to the (History and statistics section) and there will be punctual selection process for teams, projects' ideas and sponsorships, as our focus is on the actual technical mentorship and high-quality prototypes that will be real seeds for commercial and industrial products after competition.